Five Ways to Enjoy Yourself During Allergy SeasonMarch 22, 2019
Having trouble sleeping? Here are five things to try in order to achieve those Zzz’s you’ve been dreaming of.
- Cut back on noise and light. If you live in a noisy neighborhood or apartment building, try wearing earplugs. As for your windows, use blinds, heavy curtains or blackout curtains, or an eye mask. Turn off any electronic devices in your bedroom, such as TVs, tablets, and music players – in addition to the sound coming from them, the LED/LCD lights can prevent a good night’s sleep. If you need to get up during the middle of the night, don’t turn on the overhead lights; use a small night light.
- Eat smaller meals at night. It is best to avoid large meals within two hours of going to bed. If your stomach starts to growl, try drinking a glass of milk. Milk contains L-tryptophan, which can help you sleep.
- Go to bed at the same time each night. Try to avoid taking a nap during the day as much as possible. If you do need a nap, keep it between 10-15 minutes. The best time to take a nap is eight hours after you wake up.
- Unwind before going to bed. Stop any tasks you’re working on before bedtime, especially if they involve a computer or electronic device. Try not to think about things that are stressful or make you emotional, as this can disturb your body’s attempt to relax.
- Keep pets out of the bedroom. If your pet is asleep on the bed with you, it may get up and move during the night, causing you to wake up. They can also keep you up if you have pet allergies.